Skip to Content
An excellent opportunity for someone with large/multi herd experience wanting to jump-start their career or gain further experience before stepping up to management
|Salary:||Farms Individual Employment Agreement|
|Applications close:||8 a.m. on 29 January 2018|
|Additional Information:||Criminal Check.pdf|
Massey Agricultural Experiment Station, which houses the University Farms are looking to appoint a Dairy Assistant on a permanent full-time basis, to be based on the Dairy 4 Unit. This is an excellent opportunity for you to gain further momentum in your career; with some large herd and multi-herd experience, you will be able to make the most of this opportunity while being exposed to exciting new research and modern farming systems.
The position is on a 600 cow farm, through a 50 bale rotary shed. Duties will include, milking, stock management and general farm maintenance duties. Good housing is also available.
To be successful in appointment to this position, you will need to have a strong work ethic and proven dairy farming ability.
To assist with the operation of MAES Dairy Farm in a professional and profitable manner, ensuring the efficient use of available resources to achieve high levels of performance. To provide an excellent environment for on-farm teaching
Farm Manager, Dairy 4
• Assists with the collection of research observations and data from animals and in the field, including milk sampling, animal weighing, pasture cutting and other such activities related to research measurement.
• Carries out herd milking.
• Assists with ensuring records are maintained for animal numbers, breeding, transfers, weights and milk production.
• May be required to feed and rear calves.
• Moves stock both to and from milking and as requested by other research requirements.
• Carries out all animal activities to Massey University animal ethical standards at all times.
• Completes farm maintenance as directed including water supply, fences, gates, buildings, ground and equipment.
• Uses tractors and other farm equipment as required ensuring Massey University health and safety standards are recognised and adhered to.
• Carries out day to day farm activities, both routine and seasonal, as directed.
• Ensures that all animals receive the appropriate care and welfare in accordance with Massey University's animal ethical standards.
• Develops a good level of awareness of recent developments in farm practices.
• Uses scientific and farm instrumentation.
• Applies a range of farm operating techniques and methodologies.
• Conducts a range of farm duties under supervision.
• Advises farm manager of any aspects of farm and/or research activity that the position holder cannot resolve.
Management and Leadership
• Contributes to the group's objectives.
• May be required to co-ordinate members from other groups or temporary/contract staff to work on projects.
Planning and Co-ordination
• Works on a number of projects concurrently.
• Work activities are completed in conjunction with group.
• Contributes ideas, solutions, modifications and improvements.
• Take responsibility for personal growth
Extension & Technology Transfer
• Assistance with visiting student classes.
• Attends and assists at conferences, and field days.
• Contact through field days, conferences, hosting and farm visits with New Zealand dairy farmers.
• Support the General Manager, Senior Farm Management Team and Farm Unit Manager in the operation of MAES.
• Contributes to the development and maintenance of a work environment which is safe, healthy and encourages innovation.
• Ensure all responsibilities are carried out within Massey policy and guidelines as specified in the Staff Policy Manual and Health & Safety Manual.
• Complete other duties from time to time as requested by manager.
• Assist with enhancement of presentation of the property
As a dairy farm assistant you will ideally have (as a minimum) a National Certificate in Agriculture (Dairy) Level 2 and be working towards one of the higher qualifications identified below:
• National Certificate in Agriculture (Dairy) Level 3
• National Certificate in Production Management
• Diploma in Agriculture
At least 3 years dairying experience preferably with large and multi herd experience
• Have a proven ability as a dairy farm assistant in keeping with the responsibilities of this position.
• Have an understanding of and an interest in dairy farm work and livestock handling.
• Receptive to learning new technologies to help improve productivity and profitability of the farm.
• Project a positive attitude towards the University and its objectives Be self-motivated, work as a member of a team, and able to communicate effectively with staff at all levels.
• Actively participate in a team operation geared to achieving the University’s objectives.
• Attend appropriate training courses to develop further skills and experience when required, and pass on these skills to train others.
• Hold Full NZ Drivers Licence (Essential).