Skip to Content
We are seeking a Solution Architect who will focus on supporting system architecture through translating business requirements into detailed solutions and blueprints that align with enterprise architecture and extend the University’s reference architectures.
|Applications close:||11:45 p.m. on 27 May 2018|
|Additional Information:||Solution Architect.pdf|
Massey University has served generations of learners from all backgrounds. Our students experience research-led teaching, innovative modes of delivery, outstanding student support services and high-quality resources. Each year, about 30,000 students from over 80 countries choose Massey University to help them realise their ambitions and achieve their true potential.
We are seeking a Solution Architect who will focus on supporting system architecture through translating business requirements into detailed solutions and blueprints that align with enterprise architecture and extend the University’s reference architectures. This position will contribute to the overall design of the organisation’s solution architecture and will liaise as necessary across all ITS teams and enterprise-wide projects.
Reporting to the Enterprise Architecture Manager, you will work as part of the architecture team that is responsible for aligning and enabling University strategies and opportunities through the delivery of technology enabled solutions.
To be successful in this role, you will need to have considerable experience in IT solution development and implementation with a focus on documenting solution architecture designs, and developing architecture standards, guidelines, architectural roadmaps and reference architectures. Viewed as a leader in your field, you will be able to interact at all levels of the organisation and have good relationship management skills. Ideally you will have experience with the Tribal SITS: Vision Student Management, Microsoft Dynamics Customer Relationship Management CRM and Akari Curriculum Management applications.
Detailed position description is attached.
The Solution Architect is a vital role in the architecture practice and will be responsible for translating business requirements into detailed designs and blueprints that align with enterprise architecture. It also develops actionable solution designs that use, build and extend the University’s reference architectures, and supports the development of ITS strategies that align and support the delivery of business strategies.
Enterprise Architecture Manager
Solution Architecture and Design
• Collaborate with the Enterprise Architecture Manager to create architecture roadmaps and reference architectures.
• Provide solution design expertise on projects that deliver business outcomes and align with Massey’s enterprise architecture.
• Provide effective implementation guidance and governance to ensure solutions that fit requirements, create business value and will be delivered in a timely manner.
• Collaborate with Business Analysts to validate business requirements and document the non-functional requirements.
• Identify opportunities to leverage previous designs and patterns, and/or upgrade existing solutions.
• Design comprehensive and robust solutions that accurately describe how a project will be implemented and integrated through the Solution Architecture Document.
• Understand the fundamental implications and constraints of enterprise application, information, roles and infrastructure architectures.
• Facilitate the evaluation and selection of software product standards, as well as the design of standard software configurations.
• Contribute to the development of a high-performance team to strengthen capability and results.
• Contribute to the activities of the team to ensure all functions are carried out effectively and efficiently, within specified timeframes, and in line with the University’s strategic and operational plans.
• Provide architecture services to projects and identify when it is necessary to modify the enterprise architecture to accommodate project needs.
• Promote the value of an enterprise architecture approach to IT services, applications data and information within ITS and the wider University.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships across the University in order to be able to create appropriate solutions.
• Manage a variety of tasks concurrently and show flexibility of work patterns in order to meet timeframes and delivery.
• Implement and maintain a personal development program that focuses on maintaining currency and enhancing skills in the areas of Enterprise Architecture and in particular business architecture and information management.
• Maintain a reading program that covers recent developments in IT and associated solution architecture practises.
• Perform any other relevant duties as required.
• Relevant technical qualification at tertiary level preferably with a post graduate specialisation, and industry certifications.
• Preferred to have TOGAF, ITIL or other relevant discipline-based training and/or applied expertise.
• Five+ years of experience as a Solution Architect or 10 years of experience in application development, application management or application integration.
• Exposure to multiple, diverse technologies and processing environments.
• Experience in the developing and maintain an ITS roadmaps and associated documents.
• Proven experience in translating business requirements into technical solution designs.
• Strong understanding of application and integration architectures.
• Familiarity with basic graphical modeling approaches, tools and model repositories.
• Desirable to have experience within the education sector preferably at a tertiary level.
• Establishes & maintains credibility and appropriate confidentiality with stakeholders.
• Able to coach & influence internal and external stakeholders, building constructive working relationships.
• Identifies and addresses potential issues with stakeholders.
• Contributes as a member with multiple teams that span function, issue, location & time zone.
• Establishes & maintains productive working relationships with key stakeholders internally and externally.
• Generates new ideas, approaches & solutions in response to changing demands or environment.
• Develops KPIs & training materials to assess, build & nurture continuous transformation.
• Works with stakeholders to deal with, respond to and actively seek changes and innovative opportunities.
• Builds an environment of openness to new ideas & approaches.
• Integrates emerging industry best practices into current working processes.
• Develops a clear, complete understanding of needs and problems through careful listening, probing, reflecting & summarising.
• Able to develop communication plans as required.
• Delivers written & oral communications that engage audience participants, respond to their questions and concerns and produce specific outcomes & impact.
• Able to present information clearly, concisely and logically. Varies content, style & form to suit the subject.
• Conducts discussions in a respectful manner, that are sincere & fully expressed.
• Communicates in a timely manner using the appropriate style and method.
Accuracy and Attention to Detail
• Demonstrates expertise in quality assurance tools, techniques, & standards.
• Processes large quantities of detailed information with high levels of accuracy.
• Productively balances speed & accuracy.
• Implements a variety of cross-checking approaches & mechanisms.
• Evaluates and makes contributions to best practices.
• Able to track & complete agreed work in planned timeframes.
• Takes responsibility for escalating issues that impact on planned work & outcomes.
• Maintains focus on critical work standards and expectations.
• Documents how results were obtained to support knowledge transfer & best practices.
• Helps others drive tasks to completion as appropriate.
• Addresses potential conflicts that impact current delivery commitments.
• Responds to shifting priorities while maintaining progress of regularly scheduled work.
• Demonstrates an expectation that there will be ongoing shifts in demands and priorities.
• Clarifies and handles multiple concurrent and diverse activities.
• Works with or leads others to re-prioritise work & reschedule commitments as necessary.
• Provides a level of customer centric service excellence that contributes to the departments objectives.
• Able to respond to common stakeholder queries & problems or escalate if required.
• Provides a quality of service that stakeholders describe as excellent.
• Responds to unexpected stakeholders requests with a sense of urgency and positive action.
• Provides direct service to internal or external stakeholders.
• Consults on planning, integrating and migrating IT architecture.
• Creates architecturally cohesive solution designs which comply with architectural principles.
• Provides IT architecture solutions based on business and technical requirements.
• Evaluates IT architecture standards & policies to create and review the principles /
standards / policies & their application.
• Directs the discussion of issues and considerations for adopting an open architecture.
IT Standards, Procedures and Policies
• Monitors the implementation of IT standards and procedures in IT projects or services.
• Designs organisational IT policies, standards and procedures.
• Develops templates for designing IT standards and procedures for technical business plans.
• Evaluates the effectiveness of IT policies through professional group discussions.
• Manages the process for IT standards and procedures delivery and implementation ensuring the organization is under effective management.
• Revises IT policies, standards and procedures based on each department's feedback.
General Computer Proficiency
• Identifies and resolves common software and usage problems.
• Demonstrates intermediate levels of knowledge and experience in the use of Microsoft Office software.
• Intermediate experience in the use of SharePoint, can coach others in the use SharePoint.
• Working knowledge and confidence in using core systems Massey University.
• Directs the resolution of communications problems in multi-vendor environments.
• Advises on advanced diagnostic techniques & tools for unusual or performance-related problems.
• Emphasises the business impact of failure & the criticality and timing of needed resolution so that problems can be avoided in the future.
• Advises others on the assessment and provision of all technical solutions.
• Assumes accountability for personal technical performance & holds others responsible for theirs.
• Coaches others in promoting, defining, analysing, and providing superior technical solutions to business problems.
• Mentors others to enhance their technical competence & its application to achieve more effective technical solutions.
• Provides effective solutions to moderate technical challenges through strong technical competence, effectively examining implications of events and issues.
Requirement to pass a Criminal and Traffic Convictions (Security) Check performed by the Ministry of Justice.