Skip to Content
We seek an experienced mechanical engineer to undertake a wide range of duties in the Engineering Services Workshop of the Institute of Fundamental Sciences.
|Term:||Fixed Term of 12 Months|
|Salary:||$40,911 - $60,328 pa|
|Applications close:||11:45 p.m. on 22 September 2017|
|Additional Information:||Criminal Check.pdf|
This fixed-term full-time position involves work with metal, plastics and modern materials using a wide range of techniques and equipment. It also includes the servicing and maintenance of a wide range of scientific equipment in support of the research and teaching activities of the Institute.
Enquiries of a technical nature should be addressed to Mr Andy Trow, Institute Facilities and Services Manager (telephone: +64 6 951 7601).
To support the research and teaching activities of the Institute and wider University through the servicing and maintenance of scientific equipment.
Directly responsible to the Engineering Services Manager and responsible to the Institute Facilities and Services Manager in matters relating to leave and human resource issues.
• Provide support for staff and postgraduate research projects.
• Carry out maintenance of laboratory equipment including control and instrumentation equipment installed in the laboratories.
• Liaise with other Institutes and University staff as required.
• Maintain good housekeeping in areas of responsibility.
• Undertake projects as directed to provide a high level of technical support.
• Ensure appropriate safety standards and compliance requirements are met.
• Promote and support the culture of Health and Safety in the workplace.
• Diligently and faithfully serve the University and use their best endeavours to promote and protect the interests of the University.
• Undertake other relevant duties as requested by the Engineering Services Manager.
• Trade Certificate or Advanced Trade Certificate in Mechanical Engineering.
• Electrical Service Technician’s Registration an advantage.
• Welding and fitting experience essential.
• Some experience in the servicing of mechanical equipment is essential.
• Proven work experience and knowledge of mechanical engineering and welding techniques.
• Some experience in maintenance field.
• Good time management skills.
• Ability to work with wood, metal, plastics and modern materials.
• Ability to relate to staff and graduate students at all levels.
• Ability to work as part of a team.
• Computer literacy an advantage.
• Awareness of Health and Safety in the workplace.
Requirement to pass a Criminal and Traffic Convictions (Security) Check performed by the Ministry of Justice.